Sport in School
At Aston-on Trent Primary School we value the role PE and sport has in the education, enjoyment and well-being of our pupils. We are already delivering good quality provision in this area, but we want to do better; we are delighted to be given this opportunity to widen and improve PE and Sport in school and the community.
PE and School Sport Vision Statement
At Aston-on-Trent Primary School our aim is to provide:
- High quality physical education and school sport from EYFS to Year 6 and beyond ( through strong links with secondary PE departments).
- An environment which recognises the importance of sport and other physical activities in the promotion of pupils health, self-esteem and general well-being
- A safe and supportive environment in which an enjoyable, inclusive, broad and appropriate range of activities and opportunities are available that meet the needs of all pupils.
- Opportunities for pupils to fulfil their potential in a range of sporting and physical activities.
- Opportunities for pupils to engage in meaningful peer leadership and coaching roles.
- Opportunities for celebration of participation and success in physical activities and sport, both in and out of school.
- Sustainable opportunities for participation and performance in school and community.
- Teachers and coaches who are well trained, inspiring and knowledgeable.
- A positive and ‘sporting’ attitude to the support and enjoyment of sport and physical activity which will (hopefully) foster a life-long interest.
- Accurate and useful assessment of pupil progress
- Opportunities for continuing professional development, in PE and sport, for all staff, and outside providers.
In order to fulfil these aims, this academic year, our focus will be to:
- Widen pupil experiences of physical activities by increasing the range and variety of sports/activities taught as part of the curriculum.
- Ensure all children receive the same proportion of their curriculum time as physical activity, across all Key Stages.
- Develop a co-ordinated approach to assessment of pupils’ progress in PE.
- Implement a physical literacy intervention at FS and KS1.
- Improve and increase our resources and equipment.
- Continuing professional development of all staff involved in delivering PE and sport.