PHYSICAL EDUCATION AND SCHOOL SPORTS at Aston on Trent School
In April 2013, the Government announced new funding of £150 million for Sport to improve the quality and breadth of Physical Education in schools provision. From September 2013 Aston-on-Trent Primary School will be receiving about £9,000 annually in the academic years up to 2015/16 to do just that.
At Aston-on Trent Primary School we value the role PE and sport has in the education, enjoyment and well-being of our pupils. We are already delivering good quality provision in this area, but we want to do better; we are delighted to be given this opportunity to widen and improve PE and Sport in school and the community.
PE and School Sport Vision Statement
At Aston-on-Trent Primary School our aim is to provide:
• High quality physical education and school sport from EYFS to Year 6 and beyond ( through strong links with secondary PE departments).
• An environment which recognises the importance of sport and other physical activities in the promotion of pupils health, self-esteem and general well-being
• A safe and supportive environment in which an enjoyable, inclusive, broad and appropriate range of activities and opportunities are available that meet the needs of all pupils.
• Opportunities for pupils to fulfil their potential in a range of sporting and physical activities.
• Opportunities for pupils to engage in meaningful peer leadership and coaching roles.
• Opportunities for celebration of participation and success in physical activities and sport, both in and out of school.
• Sustainable opportunities for participation and performance in school and community.
• Teachers and coaches who are well trained, inspiring and knowledgeable.
• A positive and ‘sporting’ attitude to the support and enjoyment of sport and physical activity which will (hopefully) foster a life-long interest.
• Accurate and useful assessment of pupil progress
• Opportunities for continuing professional development, in PE and sport, for all staff, and outside providers.
In order to fulfil these aims, this academic year, our focus will be to:
• Widen pupil experiences of physical activities by increasing the range and variety of sports/activities taught as part of the curriculum.
• Ensure all children receive the same proportion of their curriculum time as physical activity, across all Key Stages.
• Develop a co-ordinated approach to assessment of pupils’ progress in PE.
• Implement a physical literacy intervention at FS and KS1.
• Improve and increase our resources and equipment.
• Continuing professional development of all staff involved in delivering PE and sport.